Autumn in the Forest

Autumn in the Forest

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Harvest Time

It is black walnut harvest time in the Ozarks again, and I have embarked on the month-and-a-half-long tradition of harvesting this black gold. With temperatures this week in the 90s, I must confess that I am not enjoying this harvest as much as those in seasons past.

It's painful, hot, I injure my foot every year by stepping on a hidden walnut the wrong way, and my hands remain stained for weeks. I usually end up with some manner of creepy-crawly in my hair and on my clothes, and I somehow manage to wind up with bleeding wounds on my arms and hands by the end of each day. And there's no bathroom in sight. Anywhere. Ever.

But however uncomfortable the harvest is for me, this is where the idea for the Evershade series began, so it is a rather special time for me. The spicy, woody aroma of the walnut hulls fills the air, and if you're very lucky, one of those hard little (or big) nuts does not hit you on the head while you work. (One fell RIGHT by my face as I bent over to pick up a nut today.)

I am taking a break from blogging during harvest time to focus on finishing my first draft of "Season of Storms," harvesting hundreds of pounds of black walnuts, and helping my son sell as much Boy Scout popcorn as he possibly can.

Happy Harvest!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment