Autumn in the Forest

Autumn in the Forest

Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Tragedy of Change

None of us can escape it. Change in this universe is as certain as death. But I have recently witnessed a change that is personal to me and causes a great deal of sadness.

The locations mentioned in "Season of Crows" are based on actual locations near my home--the High Field, Torzeria, Cedar Grove, Evershade, the Crow Kingdom, etc. They are part of my daily journey to town.

I don't know who owns the fields and woods, but one of the owners has recently destroyed a location that was pivotal to the plot in my novel. Ash discovers a great red-tail hawk dangling from silver vines, and his interaction with this predatory bird changes the fate of Evershade entirely. The farmer, unfortunately, has leveled the bushes and scrub cedar that grew along the silver vines, and the vines themselves have been removed. A large pile of cedar branches sits near the road now, much of it having been burned.

It is difficult for me to see one of the locations that literally changed my life being altered in such a way. Does this man know what he is doing to me? Of course not. Does he have a right to alter his field? Of course he does.

I just hate to see this particular change happen. Yes, Evershade is still there and, yes, Torzeria still stands, but I will always regret the loss of Oxl's silver vines and the path that led back to Evershade.

I think in my next book series I will simply invent a location to prevent my heart being ripped from my throat...
 




No comments:

Post a Comment